Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

A Wonderful Fundraiser.

As most parents who utilise ABA will know, when you opt for that treatment choice for your autistic child/ren, you choose an often difficult and expensive path. While the Australian government recommends a minimum of 20 hours a week of intensive behavioural intervention, it funds only 1 hour a week. This leaves parents with the quandary of determining how to fund the remaining hours. Often on one income as it is likely one parent will need to be at home with their child to facilitate these therapy sessions.

I've talked to some incredibly committed and resilient parents who shared the creative ways they have gone about raising the funds necessary to obtain a high quality intervention. Many undertake fundraising ventures, such as fun runs, raffles, auctions and quiz nights. Given the challenging day to day issues a child on the spectrum and their family can face, the additional effort to raise and maintain an extra $40,000 a year can be overwhelming for many. Yet many others do. They are remarkable families and their children are treasured and adored.

Below I share a link of two mums I know via the internet, and their current efforts to raise money for the ongoing ABA programs of their respective, beautiful, daughters.

http://www.audreyandcamille.org/

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sharon. I just read one of your posts on raisingchildren about a facebook group for ABA Therapy in Australia? The link you provided in the post doesn't work and I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction? shanwillalex@bigpond.com

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon, it's a private group so you can only gain entry via request, or through a current member. Feel free to friend me on Facebook, my name is Sharon Morris and I live in Fremantle, and I will add you :)

      Delete